Monday, November 10, 2008

Care About Planet? Recycle Children!

“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” (Desmond Tutu)

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/ariel_leve/article4832479.ece
Interesting article published in The Sunday Times UK, written by renowned British journalist, Ariel Leve dated 28 Sept 2008.

Go green. Be environment friendly. Blah!Blah!Blah! Many of us are doing our bits to reduce, recycle and reuse. However she is taking it to another level. Hats off to her. Read on.

“ I feel bad that maybe I’m not doing enough. But then it occurred to me – I’m doing more than most. I’m not having children. That’s about as environmentally friendly as it gets. Putting less people on earth does far more to prevent global warming than buying organic blueberries.

Moreover, not only am I protecting the environment, but I’m protecting innocent people from coming into a world that is being destroyed. Why show them the Grand Canyon only to follow with, And one day it will all be gone. How cruel is that? I’m not just an environmentalist, but a humanitarian too.

....Although chances are, that’s not going to happen. I’m more likely to adopt. Adopting a child is a form of recycling, right?"

Could not believe it, then read on.

I am a father of two. Before I was married, during the gung ho 'I can save the world era', I had the same sentiment. Not on the child recycling part but dreaded to raise children in current crazy crazy world! In addition to the above issues, there are concerns on safety and mental health issues! I always thought it is cruel to them as they will ‘suffer’ and getting stressed out with the expectations heap on their shoulders. Blame it on ‘kiasu-ism’?

Perhaps, due to this ‘kiasu-ism’ and a little bit of other defilement like selfishness, ignorance etc, here I am, a big daddy!

Your green thoughts please!

No comments: